Monday, September 24, 2007

Depth of insight

I don't know about you, but when I was younger I had a major crush on the cutest boy in school. I would look at him from afar and think of how dreamy he looked and so, of course, must be. From what I saw, he looked good in a pair of Levi's, and that was about the depth of my 15 year old mind as far as "love" was concerned. My best friend, Laura, and I had a name for him. "The butt", yeah, we were deep like that. I imagined him as a Carey Grant type, so suave and debonair.

As my high school years went on I actually got to know this guy a bit more through classes. We started conversing and suddenly I realized, this guy was not the brightest crayon in the box. In fact, talking to him was rather like talking to a writing object. Yeah, that bad.

See, I had been deceived by looks. I was looking at the outside instead of his heart and mind and being concerned if he even cared about Christ.

How unimaginably different does Paul exhort us in Phillipians 1: 9, "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight." He wants us to know Christ and so love Him more and more. And, it's so true, the more I know Him, the more I fall in love with Him. How could I not fall more in love with this God who is faithful, kind, overflowing in wisdom and most of all, desiring to be in relationship with me?!?!

Now, it's just the doing it that I have to work on...

No comments: