Wednesday, December 30, 2009
I was at church this past Sunday and they asked for any prayer requests you might have to be written on a little form that people could pray over on New Year's. Our church does a several hour praying in the new year where people can stop in at any time, pick up a card and pray for whomever is on that card. I picked up a card for myself and started writing. And writing. And writing a little more. Before I knew it the whole card was full. Is it sad that the entire card was just for my own issues? Apparently I must have A LOT!!
Normally at this time of year I make a resolution to lose some weight (which I still need to do), be kinder (um, yeah!) or stay on a budget (still working on that one), and normally by about January 3rd they are all shot and I go back to my old ways. Old habits definitely die hard.
This year I want to make a little different resolution, if you can even call it that. See, I don't like making promises or resolutions or pledges. I wind up feeling bound and obligated to meet them. I am way too stubborn to do that, get annoyed that I feel bound and give up knowing it won't be accomplished. Like last year my husband thought it would be a good idea to have a competition of who could read the Bible in the shortest time. The Bible. Seriously, the Bible. This is not a sprint, I said to him. So clearly, that did not happen and I gave up nearly instantaneously.
So this year, I want to just say, I want to be Godly. I want to grow closer to Him. I want to know about Him. I want to love Him more. Less me, more Him.
That sounds good to me. :)
Saturday, December 26, 2009
with all kinds of cheer,
The kind that comes
Only this time of year,
There was whole lot of laughter
All to celebrate
A little bitty boy.
We made gingerbread houses
And left sugar cookies
Hoping the man in red
Wouldn't just leave us book-ies.
The day came and went
Oh so awful quick
Before we knew it
It was such a kick!
Lots of family and friends
Whom with we spent all our time
It was worth it, it's true
What a joy sublime!
Monday, December 21, 2009
I am so thankful for that baby tonight. And, every night.
Merry Christmas to you, my sweet reader! May your days be merry and bright.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Have you entered any giveaways lately?
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Lilla, "Look, there's the big dragon (dinosaur) coming out of the building!"
Me, "Yep, there's the dinosaur."
Lilla, "The people built him and put him there."
Me, "They sure did."
Lilla, "But they didn't make everything."
Me, "No, they really didn't. Do you know who did?"
Lilla, "God did. And he made people too. And he made their hair too."
Me, "Yes, he did make people, and their hair too."
Lilla, "God even knows how many hairs we have."
Take. My. Breath. Away!!!
And with that, I sat in worship to a God who loves me that much, that He would remind me through my 3 year old that He even has the hairs on my head counted. Thank you Jesus.
Song of Solomon 6:3, "I am my beloved's and He is mine."
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
There was yummy food...
There was a craft...There were kisses...
There were presents...
There was a cute outfit...
There was laughter...There was cake smearing...
There was a change of clothes...
There was cake...
There were cuddles...
There was definitely a bath...
There was family...
There was the paparazzi...
There was...a very happy 1st birthday!!
Thursday, December 03, 2009
Last night, this is what we heard the whole way there:
I am in constant prayer that my girls will love Jesus and follow Him all of their days. To hear her quote this brings unspeakable joy. Oh, that it would be set on her heart!
Friday, November 27, 2009
I told her, "Well, Christmas is coming up, maybe you could ask Santa."
She first said, "He's pretty far away. I don't think he's going to come here." (And by here, she meant she didn't think he would shop at Wal-Mart, which I found funny in itself.)
She then started saying something about being powerful and so I asked her, "What do you mean? Do you think Santa is powerful?" I had been trying to figure out what she meant as I thought she'd been saying he was powerful to get all the gifts to all the kids.
She looked at me, gave a knowing giggle and said, "Noooooo, God is powerful."
And she humbles me once again.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
2. The cross
4. My husband
7. My sister, Erika
8. My sister, Melanie
9. My brother, David
10. My brother, Chris
11. My brother-in-law, Russ
12. My sister in law, Jody
13. My niece, Madison
14. My niece, Sydney
15. My mom
16. My dad
17. My stepdad, Richard
18. My former stepmom, Sandy. Although she is no longer married to my dad, she still has a place in our hearts!
19. My new stepmom, Nel.
20. My bestie, Carrie
21. Her children, Jenna
23. My other bestie, Shelley
24. Her hubbie, Tom
25. Her children, Taylor
28. My dog, Ellie
29. My mother in law, Mary Lynn
30. My father in law, Norbert
31. My BIL, Alan
32. His Wife, Steph
33. Their children, Justin
37. My BIL, Mark
38. His wife, Melissa
39. Their daughter, Tiffany
40. My SIL, Terri
41. Her husband, Brent
42. Nephew, Alex
43. BIL, Dan
44. His wife, Amy
45. Children, Danny
51. My BIL, Jim
52. SIL, Tammy
53. Nephew, Grayson
54. Niece, Jasmine
55. My house
56. My car
57. My bed, which I’m laying in now since I’m sick
58. My husband’s job
59. Being able to stay home with the girls
60. The library
61. Wal-Mart, the evil empire, but when you live here, it’s all you got!
63. MOPS Steering Team
64. My fridge is full of food
65. Our family has clothes
66. We are able to pay our bills
67. My church
68. Worship Music
69. Clean, hot running water
74. My Bible
75. Living in the USA
76. My camera, I’m such a photo taker!
77. Photoshop, it’s amazing what that thing does for pictures!
78. My laptop, all my friends live inside it. J
79. Facebook for all that it’s connected me with this last year.
81. Real, honest to goodness love
82. Pizza, my very favorite food
83. The special family who helped us financially this last year. Just incredible!
84. God blessing us financially when we really needed it
85. Lilla accepting Christ this year
86. Lilla choosing to be baptized when we never even talked to her about it.
88. Kid’s church
89. My pastor
90. My pastor’s wife
91. Heat, I don’t respond well to cold
92. The Children’s Museum
93. The Zoo
94. The trail near our house
95. The park
96. The change of season, so I can appreciate what I have!
97. Anna becoming well after a very rough start in life last Christmas
98. So many meals and prayers provided to us last year after Anna was born
100. LifeWhat are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Monday, November 23, 2009
My memories are much more vague, as I've realized more and more lately. Very little from childhood is concrete in my mind. The reason for that is not quite clear, although it is possible that it has been a defense mechanism to block out a particularly difficult time in my life.
As my sister and friend reminisced, and I listened with intrigue at the narratives that had occurred over the those years, the stories surrounding me, I barely knew. Like it was a different person they were speaking of. Somewhat like watching a movie you saw once many, many years ago and were not that familiar with.
My sister was particularly troubled over a childhood prank that my friend and I had pulled on her. Again, a very vague memory, if one at all. As I sit and listen to her get progressively more upset as the story went on, my hope was something I had read from CS Lewis many years ago, "Let the past rest, but let it rest in the sweet embrace of Christ."
I love my sister and don't want to see her distressed, so, I sincerely hope she can.
And, if you dear friend, are equally troubled over something that may have happened a decade ago, or maybe an hour ago, my hope for you is rest in Jesus too.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
And...here are two more beautiful little things I am thankful for this week...
Monday, November 16, 2009
Tonight I was putting her to bed and she was discussing with me why we need to help poor children. "They sleep on the street," she said. I said, "Yes, some do." She then asked who was going to help them get a home. I told her that maybe the government or churches or strangers, like us. She replied, "Well, you can't talk to a stranger."
She's black and white.
So months ago when I told her that we shouldn't be watching Spongebob because he says some not nice things (i.e. idiot, stupid...) she has really taken it to heart. To a point of, if she sees it come on tv she puts her head down in the couch and tells me I need to change the channel. Yeah, she might be a little extreme, but it's part of her black and white nature.
I started thinking about this though and how I told her he says unkind things and also how she is trying to protect herself from that. Even to the extent of burying her head into a couch so she can't see it. That, my friends, is dedication to the cause.
Of course I had to then think of myself and how I should be doing that too. I should be turning my head at the slightest hint of unrighteousness. Even to the extent of what Lilla does to turn and run from what I know is wrong. How often do I watch a program even though I know it has a history of using God's name in vain, making sexual references like it's just one big joke or just altogether being unGodly? How often do I listen to gossip, although I know I shouldn't? How often do I read articles that often should make my face turn 4 shades of red? ALL. THE. TIME.
I couldn't help but think of the childhood song, "O Be Careful little eyes what you see, o be careful little eyes what you see, for the Father up above is looking down with love, O be careful little eyes what you see."
I think I'm going to practice a little more of that caution today.
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
1. Celebrating my good friend's son's first birthday. I actually don't have any pictures from the party, as I was rushing and forgot my camera, but this was taken later in the day. Such a handsome birthday boy he made!
2. Going to Zoo Boo. Our zoo's annual Halloween event. We've gone every year since getting the annual pass and had so much fun. Pumpkin bowling, bounce house, trick or treating...what's not to love?!?!
3. Pumpkin Gospel. Our friend's invited us over to carve pumpkins while we related it all to the way sin has gunked up our insides, how Jesus carves it out and how His light shines from within. If you've never heard of it before, you should google it, pretty great way to talk about the gospel at this time of year. Lilla was so cute, when we were talking about the sins inside us she belted out, "I got baptized!" How wonderful to know she really understands why she was baptized!
4. I love you! Lilla has never been an I love you kind of girl. She just doesn't say it a lot, she is more of a huggy than verbally telling us. Well, the last month or so this has changed. I'm pretty sure she is making up for lost time! The I love you's are flying and this mama loves it!
5. Friends. A long time friend of mine came over the other day to get a few things and it was so fun to hang out with her again. We go so long without seeing each other and it's just like it was yesterday. Don't you just love friends like that?
6. Trick or treating. We went with some friends (same pumpkin gospel friends) and had such a great time going around with the kids, laughing and although it was chilly, it was just a great time!
7. I made this pumpkin cake for one of Mikey's co-workers birthdays. How cute is that? I'm just smiling because the way it looks. It was super yummy too, which is a whole other smile!
8. Sunshine. The last couple of days the sun has been brightly letting us know we are not completely into winter yet. It's really chilly out, but the sun just seems to make everything better!
9. Sisters. Lately Anna and Lilla have been playing more and more together. It gives me such a joy to see them getting along and to see Anna's personality coming more and more to life. She loves Lilla so much, you should just see her face light up when Lilla comes in the room!
10. Confession. Lately at night when Lilla and I do our songs and prayers she has been confessing her sins to me. I am so blown away at this three year old and how she really gets "it" when it comes to Christianity. I am learning more from her than she is from me, that is for sure!
God blessed us in a way that we certainly would not have guessed, and we are thankful!
Seriously silly, but we found minature Reese pumpkins and holy cow, those things are addictive. I can't help but put a smile on that!
Oh, and lastly, I hope this doesn't sound vain, but I am finally able to put my size 8's on again!! I honestly did not think they were ever going back on me. But this last week the size 10's were actually falling off...which was not pretty, let me tell you. So, I tried them on and ...who knew? I do have a saying though that just because you can get them on does not mean you should wear them. This is true for me right now, still got some toning to do, but yahoo, for it being within reach!!
Oh...just one more...Oprah had a 50% off your entire order at Payless last week, so you know I had to go! We got over $100 worth of shoes (including cold weather boots for Lilla and I so we can play in the snow!) for $50!! I'm not an Oprah fan, but I'll definitely say thank you on this one!!
What are you smiling about today?
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Friday, October 23, 2009
I also have to factor in my family and friends and my responsabilities as a MOPS co-coordinator, and ultimately with quiet times, which I will admit have been all too few lately. To say the least, I often feel like I'm pulled in a million directions and there just isn't space to love on one more being. And then...
...well, then the big browns come out. SHE looks at me as if to say, "Love me, love me, love me..." And what can I do but love her too?
Thursday, October 22, 2009
I must say that recently I have found a new addiction in a cookie. I can't help myself, they are so buttery, soft and flakey...really they are just the perfect cookie. A little more expensive than I would like to pay as a frugal momma, so I have to ration them out, but oh my goodness, they are worth the cost for sure!
So what kind of cookie am I raving about?
When I'm telling you these cookies are seriously one of the best cookies I've ever eaten, I'm so not exaggerating. They are perfect and taste like they just came out of the oven. I just can't believe they are in a package, these cookies are so fantastic. I buy them for 2.99 at Wal-Mart, not sure how much they are anywhere else, but really that is not a high price for something that could make me this happy. Yummo!!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
1. Games. Lilla has really been into games lately so we've been playing Candyland and Chutes and Ladders and she is having a ball at it! Of course there are the stubborn 3 year old, "I want the gumdrop card!" moments, but really, it's neat to see her "getting it". And it's fun too to be able to play a game with her now. My she is growing up!
2. Goofiness. I must tell you that I am an organizer. Even though I have some piles of papers or whatever in my house, I do like to know where things are and have all the pieces to things in one confined area. For instance, all the pieces to the particular Little People sets I want with that particular set, the pirates don't belong in Noah's ark. Yeah...just a little anal. :) Anyway, I was cooking dinner last week and I cam out to find my couch looking like this
So apparently Lilla has become like me. The whole couch was lined with cards. Yep, I've trained her well. LOL
3. King Kong. Lilla has a doll set. Anna has figured out that she can stand in it. Anna looks like King Kong when she does it, Lilla gets upset. I still must laugh because, well...
4. Storytime. I love that Lilla is always bringing me books to read. She loves to just cuddle up with me and go through every book on the shelf. It's hard when Anna is awake as I am usually chasing her down, but when we get the chance, it is so great to spend that time with her!5. Letters. Lately Lilla has really been in to letters. She can recognize all but a couple now. She has trouble with N and V as they are similiar to M and Y. Everywhere we go she is pointing out letters and asking me what the words say. It's constant. Which, although can feel a little overwhelming, makes me smile as I know she wants to read! I am so excited for the day when she does and hope it will be a lifelong love!
6. Getting better. We have all been so sick for so long so it has been so nice this past week for the kids and I to finally be on the mend. I'm so happy to not be spending my entire day cleaning snotty noses and doling out the drugs. I am also happy to not hear the coughing coming from their rooms at night, I am just not a fan of that. Who is?
7. Deals. This past weekend we found some cute yoga pants for the girls on clearance at Target. All the matching shirts were gone but I had a feeling I could pair it with some things they already had. Sure enough, I came home and did. Yoga pants are so comfy and perfect for playing in so that was happy!
8. Herself. Anna has just been becoming more and more her own person lately. She is so stinkin' cute it's ridiculous. She gives these humongous smiles for no reason whatsoever, she laughs wholeheartedly, she gets in to everything, she crawls so super fast you can barely catch her, she chases me around from room to room, she pulls up and walks around on the furniture, and boy, there is nothing stopping this kid! And, she loves this fish. I mean this seriously, it is a bath fish that she just adores and carries everywhere with her. It cracks me up. Oh, and when she needs a break, doesn't matter where she's at, she just poops out on the floor, lays there, catches her breath and she's off again!
9. Bible study. As I said in my previous post, we are in a bible study doing the 40 days of love. It's been nearly 3 years since we were in a bible study so it's so good to be in a small group again, there is just nothing like fellowship with believers about God. Fabulous!
10. Last, but not least, yesterday was one of the few gorgeous days we've had recently, so you know I had to drag the kiddos to the trail for a photo shoot...and then a stop for some cookies at the cookie shop, of course! Here are some of my faves
What are you smiling about today?