Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fear Not


Yesterday, as we were preparing dinner on the grill, Lilla brought her beach Barbies out to play on the deck. The Barbie pool had come with a little itty bitty bottle of sunblock, which, of course, was dropped and fell between the slats in the deck.

Lilla was so upset and wanted that little bottle so badly. Unfortunately, there is only about 6 inches between the deck and the slab of cement beneath it. No adult could possibly get under there. Also, my landscaping is way overgrown, and woah, am I not prepared to find out what might be living in there!

So, although there was crying and nashing of teeth, I had to tell Lilla we just couldn't get it. She kept begging and saying, "Why not?" I finally said, "Listen, mommy is scared to go anywhere near the edges of the deck, I don't know what I'll find!"

In her sweet little Lilla way, she said, "But Mom, we have Jesus, and when you have Jesus, you have nothing to fear. Right?"

And just like that, I am speechless again.

Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

3 comments:

Gabe said...

ahhhh. . .
the faith of a child!!

If only it was so easy for us adults! Why isn't it??

gail said...

She didn't read the fine print about critters under decks!

Janet said...

Wow! What a smart little girl!