Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A true blessing

Yesterday, on my way into Wal-Mart, I was carrying Anna in one arm and pulling Lilla through the parking lot with the other, my big old purse dangling all the while. A kind gentleman walking beside me hurried in front of me to open the door.



He then said, "Wow, you've got quite the load there!"

I replied, "I sure DO!"

He shot back, "It's not a bad thing though."

Thoughtfully I said, "No, it's a blessing."

I could hear he and his companion behind me making Awe noises, to which I smiled. We then went our separate ways.

But as I placed the girls in their seats and started walking the massive aisles, the girls started arguing about this, whimpering about that and, of course, I became frustrated. My blood pressure is rising as I'm trying to cajole them into behaving, which, of course, is not working, which is making me even more upset. (Shhhh...don't tell anyone but the only thing that works for us is Pringles. Another story altogether!)

Anyway, as I was rushing through the store, my voice raising and with my two little ones in tow, I suddenly remembered that simple exchange with the man at the door. These babies are blessings I said, but was I really treating them that way? Was I loving them with all my heart? Was I showing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control with these gifts I had been given?

No, I sure wasn't. I was thinking selfishly of what I needed to get done, my own agenda, my own wants. I think back to the verse, "Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him." Psalm 127:3

I'm going to be asking the Lord to write that verse on my heart and never let me forget what my babies are.

Nothing short of a blessing.


And so, my prayer today is, Thank you Lord for these blessings you have put in my life. Please help me not to take them for granted. Help me to love as you love, to show kindness, gentleness, peace, patience and self control, just as you would want me to. Thank you for loving me and showing me how to love others. Help me to love well. Amen.

15 comments:

MamaMonki said...

That is a wonderful verse to have written on your heart. Definitely something I find myself forgetting at times too. Thanks for the reminder!

redeemed diva said...

Amazing post and so true! I have more than my fair share of grocery store stories where I have not treated my blessings as such. Thanks for being real and honest about the role of a mom.

gail said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right... nothing short of a blessing!

Thanks for introducing yourself tonight on my blog!

Blessings!
~H

aimymichelle said...

that is such a nice post.

Courtney said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have a beautiful family & I can't wait to read more! Have a great day!

Janet said...

Love this!! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I just became your newest follower!

Lucinda @ Anonymous Mom said...

Awww. I want this (Thank you for these blessings...) written on my heart too. With so many responsibilities and so little time, it can be easily forgotten, but will never be denied.

Anonymous said...

What a woderful lesson you shared.

Sometimes it is hard to see the blessing but we know it is there!

mindy

Christy said...

Beautiful ... I need to remember this more often. Thank you.

Thanks for visiting my blog party! It is great to meet new bloggers. I am truly blessed by your blog today! Thank you!

Kelly's Lucky You said...

What a truly beautiful post. A lovely reminder to remember what is important.

Thanks for stopping by Kelly's Lucky You, glad you enjoyed the music :)

I'm your newest follower!

We 2 Bees said...

Amazing verse! And one I want on my heart as well. It's so easy to get overwhelmed and forget! I love how God reminds us of things right before we need it!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came over after your sweet comment on my UBP post - but then started poking around (which I tend to do, which is why it has taken me forever to visit you back).

I was at church once, my husband wasn't there, and both my kids were pretty little and there was no nursery, and they were just ALL OVER. I said something to an old woman near me about 'not getting anything out of' the service, and she said, "The blessing is that you are all here". Hello, conviction. That has stuck with me for years - they ARE blessings, and how stupid I was for thinking I wasn't getting anything out of being there with them!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came over after your sweet comment on my UBP post - but then started poking around (which I tend to do, which is why it has taken me forever to visit you back).

I was at church once, my husband wasn't there, and both my kids were pretty little and there was no nursery, and they were just ALL OVER. I said something to an old woman near me about 'not getting anything out of' the service, and she said, "The blessing is that you are all here". Hello, conviction. That has stuck with me for years - they ARE blessings, and how stupid I was for thinking I wasn't getting anything out of being there with them!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post :-) My patience have been tested all day, and I needed this.
Your girls are adorable!