Saturday, March 12, 2011

Marked

Years ago, when I was in grad school, I got the brilliant idea* to have someone take an itty bitty needle to my back and draw on it. No amount of Irish Spring is taking that purple and pink away.

Clearly, I am an adult with two pregnancies under my belt now and my lower back is covered for the most part. I'm always saying, "No one wants to see none of that mess." Which, is probably pretty close to being accurate. But, I digress...

The other day I was leaning over to pick the fruit loops off the floor when Lilla and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Lilla: Mom, why is that butterfly on your back?

Me: Because I was a moron that thought it would be a good idea. It wasn't.

Lilla: Why not?

Me: Because it is permanent. I can't ever get rid of it. Once it's there, it's there. I wish I had not done that.

Lilla: Even when you die?

Me: Yep, even when I die. It will never go away.

Lilla: Well, maybe when you die it will go away.

Me: Nope, it is going to be there even when I die. It's forever.

Lilla: Well, maybe not. We are going to get new bodies when we get to heaven and maybe your tattoo won't be there then.

To which, of course, my breath was taken away. You see, if we are in Christ, she's right, someday we will have new bodies. All the imperfections and mistakes will be taken away. No more tears or hurts or spur of the moment grad school tattoos.

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

Phillipians 3:20-21

Thank you Lord, for giving me this lovely child to remind me of your mercy and the promise of heaven!

*Just to clarify, I'm not saying all tattoos are moronic. Mine was not well thought out. At all. For something so lasting, not so bright.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how the LORD uses my kids to love on me! This is beautiful!!

gail said...

I think I will go to Lilla instead of "experts" when it comes to spiritual "common" sense. She is so on target!

Jessie Weaver said...

I am continually amazed at what our toddles will let sink in!! How amazing of her. :)

Rebecca said...

out of the mouths of babes...

Full of Grace said...

Kids can be such wise reminders sometimes, can't they?? Hey, at least it was a butterfly, and not something else even less thought out! ;)

blanket outlast yarn temperature sensitive price said...

Wow! she is so cute and adorable I like her very much and your post is very good and interesting, really kids are precious gift for every one.
Thank you for sharing the good post with us.

Unknown said...

What a great post and insightful child. Thank goodness for our new bodies to come! I've been thinking for 20 years about getting a tattoo but haven't yet. I suspect I will eventually :)

signingcharity said...

That is pretty wise of a 5 year old! Very cool.

Kristi said...

What a sweet story! Don't kids just change everything?!?!