Saturday, October 25, 2008

Is it just me?


Is it just me or does it seem like elections bring out the worst in people? I mean really, people seem to lose their minds when you bring up politics, and anything you don't agree with or what you do believe in that they don't. Seriously, whatever happened to freedom of choice in this country?

For instance, we have a political sign in our yard. Since we have a huge yard and live on a major street in our little town, we agreed to put up one of the big 4 foot by 6 foot signs. It's only for a few weeks and it's not hurting anyone, so why not? Anyway, this morning we woke up to find the sign gone and the posts bent in half.

Because we live on a very busy street in a rural area, that means someone had to pull into our driveway, park their car, run around on private property and destroy the sign. I still have no idea how they bent the posts unless they hit them with their car. I mean really, not only is this vandalism of property and illegal activity on private property, but it's just plain scary when I have a two year old living here.

Really, what is wrong with people? As I stated before, this election has brought out the worst in people. And, personally, I can't wait until it's over!!

5 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

There was even a report on the news (CNN) about sign theft and vandalism. A guy in Ohio actually built his own sign out of wood and metal posts. The sign is bolted to the posts. The posts go 3 feet into the ground. The entire thing is chained to the front porch and the chain has an "alarm" on it- a cow bell. That'll show 'em!!

Jacy said...

I have to agree with you, Amy I am so shocked at how far and personal some take this election. There is always going to be SOMETHING someone disagrees with, so can't people just agree to disagree and go on with their lives and stop harrassing others? I am so sorry that you have to deal with that and I can only imagine your fear trying to raise and protect your children while dealing with others such as this.
Can't wait until it's over either...It has actually turned me into a very non political kidn of person lol and talking about it, is just something that is almost impossible to do these days without offending someone!

Theresa said...

Thanks for coming by and the birthday wishes :) Sorry to hear about your sign :-(

Cyndi said...

That is really scary. I am sorry that happened. A lot of things have turned petty in this election, unfortunatly.

meg said...

This is one of the reasons I don't put up any political signs, even though we have strong beliefs regarding issues- people seem to lose their sense of proportion during elections & others take it as an excuse to be vandals.