Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The body

When I was growing up I attended a church that I just loved. We were there from birth to fourteen when my mom get remarried and I was swooped to a home five hours away. So, we started going to another church. I fell in love with the people there eventually too. I attended until I was 20 and moved to the city. That was the church I got married in and still go back to every chance I get. About and a half later, I finally discovered the church in the city I would call home for the next 8 years. I loved the music, the preaching, the missions...so many things. Two years ago we decided when we moved across town to visit another church. Since then I've fallen in love with the people here, they are so warm and welcoming. It's a small church where you feel like you know everybody and the preaching is very theologically sound.




All this to say, each of these churches holds a special place in my heart. Over the years I have gone back and visited them and wished I could be part of them again. I so desired that sweet fellowship that I once experienced in each of those places and it was a sort of coming home to visit those spaces again.



It was no different this past Sunday as I visited my last church. We had a Hungary missions thing to go to so we decided to just go to the service too. How wonderful to see so many friends that I hadn't seen in so long. New lives had been born since I was there and there were many other changes to catch up with. How I longed to be there with them again! Don't get me wrong, I know where I am is exactly where God wants me to be and I love my church, I just miss these dear sweet Saints.

Suddenly I began to realize just a little piece of what heaven was going to be like. I would no longer have to long for the prescence of these sweet people who shared my love of Jesus because they would be there with me! Oh, what a day, what a place, what a Savior!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right! Each church is so different but filled with so many great people (at least the ones I have attended!). My husband began ministering in a new church 6 months ago and we already feel like they are family. I don't know what I would do without my church family!!

Dana said...

We've been Christians only 10 years and have been to 3 churches. The one we serve & worship at now, and both work at as well, is home. I cannot imagine being called away - although, I know God can do it. I am just saying I would miss everything about it. I attend a Beth Moore bible study on Tuesday nights at our church with around 3500 women from all over Texas (and some from out of state)and they come from every denomination within the body of Christ and I love it! I so love the body of Christ!